Andrews Osborne Academy (AOA) seeks an experienced Learning Specialist for the 2019-20 school year. The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree in Special Education/Learning Disabilities, or a related field, and at least three years of experience working in the classroom with children with learning needs. The Upper School Learning Specialist is part of the AOA Learning Support team as well as part of the Upper School faculty and staff. S/he coordinates the process for Upper School students to be evaluated for learning differences as well as the development of any plans that are indicated. S/he also meets with students 1-on-1 or in small groups to facilitate academic success and communicates regularly with the faculty regarding student progress.
Andrews Osborne Academy is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory day (PK to grade 12) and boarding (grades 7-12) school located in Willoughby, OH. Our Academy offers early childhood, elementary, middle and secondary education to committed students in a multicultural setting. AOA is known throughout the region for offering a community built upon deep and meaningful relationships between and among teachers, students, families, and staff, and for developing a superlative educational paradigm. That paradigm is invested in two deeply held beliefs - that students need to think critically AND creatively, and, that knowledge is deepened through plurality. An AOA education empowers students to develop into empathic and caring global citizens capable of leading the way into a dynamic future.
General duties and responsibilities:
- Meet regularly one-on-one or in small groups to support students with a variety of learning styles
- Make recommendations to families about additional support (e.g. testing, tutoring, or outside professional support)
- Schedule, review, and process educational testing
- Create or update Academic Learning Plans for every student with a diagnosed learning difference
- Maintain a list of students with school-approved accommodations and share with faculty
- Monitor the progress of all students receiving support and communicate important updates regarding the student’s learning plans
- Submit paperwork for accommodations with College Board and ACT
- Meet with teachers to discuss diagnoses, accommodations, support, and plans to help students grow
- Work with colleagues to develop professional development programs that support students with learning differences
- Serve as a member of the Upper School Health and Wellness Team
- A Bachelor's degree in Special Education/Learning Disabilities, or a related field, and at least three years of experience working in the classroom with children with learning needs
- Significant knowledge of learning differences and the ability to interpret results of achievement and learning diagnostic tests
- Ability to develop a strong rapport with students
- Well organized and sensitive to time constraints
- AOA fosters an inclusive learning community for students from many social and cultural backgrounds. The successful candidate will possess a strong and demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and access.
All interested candidates should submit to Mr. Robert Ahrens, Assistant Head of School for Academics (firstname.lastname@example.org) a cover letter and resume as well as a list of three references (including contact information). NO PHONE INQUIRIES PLEASE.
All applicants should know that a formal BCI/FBI background check, and extensive communication with references will be a part of this hiring process.
Andrews Osborne Academy is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in our workforce.